Data recovery technology and tools
Data recovery is a systematic process of retrieving information from internal and external storage media that have become inaccessible due to damages. Media get damaged due to mechanical breakdown, bad storage sectors, electrical short circuits, logical failure and firmware collapse or due to combination of these issues. The process of data recovery is supported by a system encompassing latest technology, advanced tools, dependable algorithms and deep data probing & discovery methods.
Disk failure mode
There are many modes in which your disk drive can fail. Data recovery experts have broadly categorized it into two main categories, namely logical and physical failures. Logical errors can result from file deletion, virus attacks on master and file areas, partition corruption etc. Physical failure occurs when the disk suffers mechanical or electrical damages to the disk drive or PCB.
Data recovery options
You have the option of adopting DIY (DO It Yourself) approach to rectify the media and recover data. However this option has its limitations as the open source software you download as individual user comes with restrictions on data volume, types of bug handling, coverage and media support. You may avail our professional services to get customized solutions from simplest of logical disk failures to the most critical disaster recovery solutions.
How this website works for you
Given a type of media or data damage, there could be n-number of solutions to the same problem that work with different algorithms. You need to discover a specific type of recovery method that takes minimum possible time to salvage maximum possible data from all sectors and clusters of the media. This website gives you a permutation and combination of methods based on generic and specific scenario.
You need to be familiar with early damage detection techniques, so that you can fix the problems before they grow in complexity. This could be achieved only when you are able to sense the symptoms during early stages. This website provides you with plenty of techniques for doing this successfully. You can start browsing from the Overview and then check all our posts in these categories: Drives & Phones, Devices & Software, Recovery Tools for Servers, Databases & Wireless Networks.
Once the symptoms are recognized, you need a proper diagnosis for determining the exact nature and extent of damage(s). Only then you will be able to decide on the possible data recovery methods to be used. This website lists out plenty of options from which you could select a specific method that is affordable for you.
- Before you get into the process of data discovery you need to be clear about feasibility of following a particular method. That means effort, time and money you spend on data recovery must be worthwhile. This website gives you important tips on how to avoid wasting your resources and effort and focus on getting the best from data recovery process.
There are many scenarios where you will not be able to recover data with a Do It Yourself (DIY) approach. For example salvaging sets of data from servers, physically damaged drives and media with complex multi dimensional issues. This website suggests some of the professional data recovery options that you may find useful.
Techniques for real time recovery
Techniques of data recovery mainly depend on the nature and extent of media damages. As specified earlier, nature of damages need to be assessed before taking any other measures.
- Mechanical breakdown: - Improper alignment or malfunction of media components like read-write arm, actuator, spindle, disk platter and even disk case can result in damages. Here you can learn about the possible causes that lead to initiation and growth of such problems.
- Logical failure: - Disk formatting, corrupt file system, OS failure, Boot sector issues, deletion of files, virus attack and other issues are discussed in detail. This site gives you a list of open source tools which you can download and use to fix specific issues, apart from techniques to recover data.
- Bad storage sectors: - They could develop due to spikes, wear and tear, issues in the platter area, improper head alignment while reading and writing etc. You can learn about techniques for fixing such problems with a DIY approach or getting them fixed by professionals.
- Electrical short circuits: - Root cause of electrical issues may come from PCB (including motherboard) to which your storage device is connected. You get to know about the possible causes, symptoms and repairing techniques to solve the problems from this site.
Hardware and Software Tools
You can learn about various types of hardware and software tools needed for recovering data from Desktop PC, Mac systems, Mobile and smart phones, remote servers, network nodes and many other storage media.
- Imaging equipment: - They support diagnosis and discovery of lost data clusters with customized disk imaging techniques.
- Firmware equipment: - They can be used for fixing firmware issues from many vendor specific drives and components.
- File-system Tools: - They support most of the file systems like FAT, NTFS, HPFS, YAFFS, EXT-4, Coda and may others.
- Client management tools: - They help you in restoration of drives, disk imaging, data extraction and restoration, backup etc.
- Flash-memory tools: - They give you chip level control over parameter reading, safety features, circuit board analysis, chip corrections and cluster fixing.
- Software tools: - You get to learn about various types of enterprise and open source software tools like stellar, NTFS recovery, partition restoring tools and other types of software.
Data recovery algorithm
Algorithm is considered to be the backbone of data recovery process. Basic types of algorithm include file system scan, signature-search, partition mapping, sector mapping, image tracking etc. You will be introduced to many of these algorithms and how they get integrated into the hardware and software tools used for data recovery.
Limitations of data recovery
Data recovery tools have their limitations in salvaging files from damaged media. For example bad sectors may force you to ignore certain tracks and sectors in your disk while trying to extract data. Some types of serious physical damages to cluster level data are still out of reach for data recovery tools. You will be introduced to many such scenarios in this site.
Before you start up with any type of data recovery operations, it is important for you to understand the technical and financial feasibility factors. Discussions in this website could give you an insight into selection of most efficient methods which can produce fast and reliable results within minimum time frame and budget plans. Of course there are many case studies to make you understand practical scenarios as well.