In this session you will be learning about some of the most prominent features related to files and file system recovery with the help of software applications and tools. You can download these apps from the internet and install them onto your computer. You need to connect the IOS storage device through USB port with your computer, launch the software app in the computer and follow the wizard steps. In most of the cases involving file deletion, partition issues due to OS install; loss of data owing to IOS update and other logical failures the software apps can be used with a DIY procedure. Most of the open source apps are designed to scan and salvage files which you can backup to the computer from which you are running them.
When you are new to using touch-screen IOS devices the probability of unintentional file deletion is more. Sometimes you may connect your phone to an external source of data through which virus may also make entry into the system. They can delete files and partitions, corrupt file systems and even cause the OS to breakdown. Other possibilities are improper IOS updates and OS patches installation.
In all these cases the extent of logical failure can go up to the master boot record and file system tables. Most of the IOS phones work on FAT-16/32 and HFS/HFS+ format while a few with Windows have adopted NTFS. The software apps which you run from the computer work in several steps to recover lost files and folders.
- Connect the failed IOS device to the computer with the help of USB cable to the port. Turn on the phone if the OS is still intact. In case of OS failure you need to take out the drive and connect it with the help of an external USB casing (only then the OS in the main computer can recognize the failed drive.
- Run the data recovery software application from main computer. It may take some time for the system to recognize the connected physical drive and the logical partitions within it. In case of partition deletion, the OS will recognize only the physical drive as a single entity.
- Menu display in the software will vary between each vendor specific application. But most of them give you basic options for IOS device recovery, ITUNE back up recovery and IOS cloud recovery. You need to select the device recovery option for salvaging files from the drive.
- The system will prompt you to select the drive from which data has to be salvaged. Click on the connected IOS drive name and start the wizard. First step in the wizard is usually related to scanning of drive. Some of the apps have options for partial scan and deep scan. Partial scan enables only deleted and corrupt files restoring while deep scan gives you multiple choices for file system and partition restoration, bad sector scanning and data extraction, marking of bad sectors etc. It is better to opt for deep scan if your IOS phone has OS crash.
- The system will keep prompting you with messages whenever it encounters bad sectors. If the application has the feature for data extraction from them you can simply use it to move the files from such areas and allow the system to mark them as BAD. If such feature is not available, you just have to click on ignore and continue with rest of operations. Remember that marking a sector as bad can make it permanently inaccessible.
- After completion of scan, the system displays multi paged list of deleted files, partition issues, bad sectors and other logical errors in the failed disk. You can click on the FIX NOW button to make the software application get into action.
- Restored files can be saved into the main drive in the attached computer by allocating an empty volume them. Avoid salvaging of files within the same failed drive as the chances of reading from such volumes are extremely remote.
- The system may face some issues while recovering data from bad sectors and prompt you with messages. If you chose to retry, the file may be partially restored which will be of no use to you. In such cases it is better to ignore such files and move ahead with the rest of files. You can use another utility specific for bad sectors later.
- Once the process of data recovery is complete, the application will generate a report based on the actions taken. Most of the file name extensions (.JPG, .BMP, .AVI, .DOC etc.) will be retained without any alterations. Sometimes the file names may be changed into alphanumeric characters when they are restored from deleted partitions. In such cases you need to manually open the file with the related application and rename it.
- Now you can close the data recovery wizard and launch the application for extracting data from bad sectors. This application can link the file allocation tables with the data in bad sectors and use a powerful algorithm for bit wise data recovery. But this procedure may take many hours, especially when the bad sectors are more in numbers. So you need to wait till the operation is complete. If any sector is badly damaged, the system may ignore it and go ahead. All the recovered files are listed at the end of scan, which you can restore into the main disk of the computer.
In case of physical damages to the storage device or the PCB of IOS device you need to get them rectified from a professional data recovery expert only. You can make use of our expertise in disaster data recovery when your IOS devices have been critically damaged. Our infrastructure of hardware utilities and OEM software tools can restore almost any type of data from the IOS devices. You will find our cost effective services to be highly useful in overcoming many critical data loss conditions.