Data recovery from physically damaged hard drive is performed with the help of software tools and hardware devices. First step to successful recovery starts with complete scanning of the drive. You could find many diagnostic online tools which can accomplish this task for you. Many of them are Open source based systems available free of cost, while some of them are professional and enterprise versions that can perform deep scanning. Deep-spar is one such diagnostic tool that is said to be ideal for scanning mechanical issues. It can perform many types of diagnosis for failure in PCBA board, firmware corruption, head assembly issues, head crash onto disk platter, seizure of spindle and motor breakdown.
This tool can also be used for performing advanced diagnosis and restoration with the help of a donor drive. This can be done by swapping of failed board onto the donor drive. If the drive starts working you can be assured that the problem is not with the board, rather with the drive. Recovery of data from physically damaged drives needs to be done by qualified professionals only, as it can ensure complete repair and restoration.
We have developed a trusted system of data recovery from hardware breakdown over a period of time. Our infrastructure consists of precision diagnostic tools, latest software applications for detailed analysis & reporting and successful recovery mechanism.
Functionality of Diagnostic Tools
Deep-Spar diagnostic tool is extensively used by hardware technicians for performing multiple types of testing. PC3000 is one is said one of the reliable products with a kit consisting of a PCIE-card, software, HDD adapter, terminal adapter, interface cables and firmware loaders & modules.
- Support: – The system gives extended support for all types of drives including Serial-ATA, IDE, Parallel-ATA and other types of S.M.A.R.T devices.
- Diagnosis: – The technician will be able to perform board level, drive level as well chip level diagnosis with this data recovery kit. Read write analysis of ROM (Read Only Memory) type of devices can also be performed with precision.
- Hot Swap: – This is a facility required for 24 X 7 running server systems, since the server cannot be shut down for performing diagnosis and repairs. Using PC3000 it is possible to install self scanning and repair facilities onto the server and client computers within the network.
- Data Extraction: – Extraction of data from physically damaged drive is the primary functionality of PC3000. It can recover data from disks with corrupt file system, head damaged drives, crashed platters, and inaccessible bad sectors.
Data recovery Procedure
Procedure adopted for recovery depends on the result of diagnosis. If your disk-drive has a corrupt file system, it cannot be used as primary drive for booting. The technician will connect it as a salve drive with another bootable disk in working condition.
- Partition recovery: – Once the parent drive is booted and OS gets loaded, the PC3000 software application needs to be installed. The technician will run the software and select the failed drive for rectifying the corrupt file system. Recognition of partitions and file systems is the initial task. Once the partitions are recovered, the OS starts recognizing the file system.
- File system repair: – In the next stage, the damaged file system is repaired by the software tool. Compatibility of file system between the parent drive and failed drive is very important. For example NTFS file system in the failed drive may not be recognized of the parent has FAT or other lower level file system.
- Restoration of data structure: – Before data recovery starts, it is mandatory for PC3000 to restore all the broken links between folders, subfolders and files within the directory-tree structure. The system may prompt skipping of some folders and files which are located in non-recoverable portions of the HDD. The system is said to be capable of restoring up to 90% of corrupt data from physically damaged drives in most of the cases.
- Data recovery: – if the parent drive has sufficient disk space to hold all the data from failed drive, the technician will use one of the free “volumes” in that drive for data restoration. Otherwise he may connect an external drive through USB port in the parent computer. PC3000 provides compatibility for other types of mass storage like DVD and cartridges.
Fixture of Component Failure
The failed HDD assembly could be having problems with mechanical or electrical components like PCB, ROM, head assembly, disk platters and spindle or firmware area. There are many hardware kits available for repair and replacement of failed components within your HDD assembly. The hardware kit is supposed to have the following features in order to make it compatible with latest type of HDD assembly as well as legacy systems.
- PHY-Control: – This is one of the native hardware level controls for Serial-ATA compatible disk drives. It helps in diagnosing drive level problems and generating accurate reports for the software system. If the hardware tool has this feature, it is recommended for fixing many of the frequently encountered problems with read /write heads, like misalignment, physical twist etc.
- Algorithms: – Hardware fixing tools also need to be based on a specific type of algorithm that can work on all types of disk drives like Serial-ATA, Parallel-ATA and IDE. Imaging algorithm is one such critical feature required for mirroring data from failed drive onto a donor drive.
- Interface: – Visual interface with the technician needs to be smart and customizable. Some of the high end data recovery tools use advanced 3-D imaging techniques to point out the exact location of component malfunction to the technician. This will help him in focusing the repairing tool precisely onto that component and fix it or replace it.
Once the components are fixed or replaced in the HDD assembly, the hardware tool itself may be used for data recovery by techniques like disk imaging, platter exchange and other techniques. Or the technician may choose to utilize software tools installed on the devices for data recovery process.