Most of the virus programs that damage your hard drive seem to come from internet. There are other sources like corrupt CD, USB devices and other external data storage devices. The process of disk failure starts gradually and spreads rapidly at some point, when the drive becomes inaccessible. Nature and intensity of failure depends on the kind of drive, type of virus, OS and file structure and other factors related to storage media. Data recovery starts from the process of identifying the symptoms and diagnosing methods. Once these two stages are completed you will be able to get an idea about stepwise approach to problem solving.
Most of the problems with virus attacks could be simple enough to be solved by DIY approach. But once you start the process of data recovery you may come across several stages where in DIY approach simply does not work. Since your precious data is at stake, it is always better to take the help of data recovery professionals to be on the safer side. You can find many time tested and user trusted antivirus software and tools in our Multipurpose Data Recovery Store. Just give us a call and we will be there to address all your data recovery problems with virus attacks.
Working with Virus removal Tool
First task of any virus removal tool is to identify the type(s) of virus that have got into your storage device. Sometimes this could be a complex process, since you are unable to get access to the device’s boot sector. In such cases you need to remove the blocks in the boot sector by some means.
- Master Slave setup: – This is a procedure wherein you convert the affected disk into a salve drive and connect it to a functional Master drive. The OS gets booted from the master drive. In case the affected drive is recognized (recognition does not mean accessibility. Only drive letter(s) will be allocated to the failed drive and its partitions. In some cases the system may be able to recognize only the primary partition like c:\ in the failed disk), you will be able to use tools from the primary disk for removing the blocks in the failed disk.
- Removal of Boot Sector Blocks: – You can find many open source and professional editions of software tools like ICARE. Once you run the software you will be taken to main menu in the system. You could find many options like partition recovery, file recovery, scan recovery, MBR recovery etc. Choose the option of MBR recovery and select the primary drive of failed disk. Let the software scan the device drive completely even if it takes about an hour or so. You can choose for auto fix errors to get your tasks completed easily. The software displays completion message once the MBR is cleared.
- Removal of virus: – Select complete device scan and virus removal option in the next stage. This process can remove all the potential threats from the different logical drives in the affected disk. In some cases it takes several hours. You need to wait patiently even when the “progress bar” in diagnosis and removal tool does not move an mm for several minutes. Once the process of virus removal is complete, the system displays appropriate message for you.
- Fixing of disk failure symptoms: – In the next stage you need to fix all the damages caused by the virus. Since 99.99% of the virus attacks result in logical corruption of the device and the partitions, fixing is said to be relatively assured process. You can choose the options available in the software for accomplishing this task also. The job of fixing file and folder links, restoration of deleted or corrupt files etc are done at this stage.
- Data restoration /backup: – This is the final stage wherein you need to specify a medium for restoring recovered data files and folders. Create a separate logical partition in the mater disk and choose it as target drive for data recovery. You can also restore the data files and folders onto a DVD / rewritable CD. Now your restored data is ready for use.
- File/Folder names: – Data recovery software tries to retain your original file and folder names to maximum extent. However long files names may get truncated with a ~ symbol attached to the file name. This is because of recovery happening at the core shell mode which does not recognize long file and folder names supported by windows OS. So you need to open each file separately and rename them while using. You may feel it as a cumbersome task, but this process of data recovery after virus infection is far better than losing valuable data.
Restoration of hidden files
Another characteristic of some data recovery software tools is that they change the attributes of files while recovery is in progress. As you know, core DOS shell allocates attributes like Read, Rea/Write, Archived and Hidden properties. Now you need to scan for hidden files in the restored disk drive. You can do so with the help of recovery software tools, which is considered to be safest option.
Once the system displays list of hidden files, select all of them by pressing CTRL+A. Right click and remove the hidden option.
The process of recovering data from virus infected hard drive goes through complex processes, when the intensity of damages has reached the core file system. Since most of the Windows Operating system support NTFS as the primary file system, you may need to download some of the NTFS recovery tools also. Make sure that you run this utility immediately after the completion of virus removal from your system. This can help in restoring the links between files, folders and sub folders within each logical partition with precision.
If you wish to carry out the process of assured data retrieval in a professional manner, you can depend on our trusted data recovery services used by individuals, businesses and corporate companies.