Data recovery from Windows 2012 server involves large volume of corrective and preventive measures which needs to be taken in the pre and post recovery stages. First step is to determine the number of client systems connected to the server and the types of OS running on them. This is required since you may need to restore the recovered data into client nodes when the server has insufficient back up media connected to it. Second step is to determine the level of Active Directory services installed in the server. This will help in planning the process of data recovery from different volumes in the server HDD.
In most of the cases Windows 2012 server HDD failure can be recovered simply by replacing the corrupt disk with a new one and restoring data from mirrored disk. This is the case when the primary disk is supported by a backup / mirrored disk. But there are many scenarios wherein development of bad sectors in the Primary domain Controller (PDC) has resulted in corrupt data in the backup domain controllers (BDC) also. If this phenomenon has occurred for an extended period of time, you may need to fix the Drives in PDC.
We have enough expertise to manage efficient data recovery from windows 2012 servers across multiple domains, peer to peer systems, domain trees and forest systems. You can avail our rescue and repair services for network client drives, network routers and switches configurations, addressing optical and twisted pair network cable issues etc.
Steps for Server HDD data recovery
- Restore network: – First step is to restore the basic network connectivity with the client systems. You need new HDD with Windows server 2012 installed in it. Replace the corrupt disk with the new one and make it the Primary Disk (PD). You need to connect the failed disk as secondary slave to the new disk. You need to adjust the pin settings in the PD and failed disks accordingly. You can also connect the failed disk with the PD through USB port in case such a facility is available. Power on the server and one of the client nodes. Configure the client-1 in the PD by making changes in the IP configurations by entering the client IP address, DHCP details, subnet mask and FTP settings. Now you need to test the network connectivity with PING utility. Test the client IP from server and vice versa.
- Install recovery software: – Now you can install the data recovery software in the PD and run it. One of the most frequently used software applications for server data recovery is the ICARE data recovery system. You need to select the mode of data recovery in the software. ICARE offers three main modes of data recovery, namely partition recovery, deleted file recovery and deep scan recovery. Deep scan is the most commonly used option for complete restoration of data.
- Work with the software: – You need to select the drive from which data has to be recovered. Before submitting the failed disk for recovery process, you need to ensure that it is free from any of the physical damages like mechanical, electrical and other modes of failure. If such errors exist in the failed disk, it is better to set them right with the help of data recovery hardware tools first. The software can recover data from bad sectors to an appreciable extent. It has many built-in features for Bitwise data recovery from corrupt clusters. Once you select the drive the system will go into scan mode to display list of files. It may take some time for the system to respond to any other commands or mouse clicks. So you need to wait till you get the file listing.
- File system display: – The software recovery menu is split into two vertical windows, with left side showing the drive information and right window displaying list of files in the selected drive. The system works with a wizard that takes you through several steps before it starts the recovery process.
- Follow the wizard steps: – You can select all the files in the drive by pressing CTRL+A, right click and select all files option. Click on NEXT button. In the next steps you will be asked to select the drive to which you need to restore the recovered files. If your PD has sufficient space to accommodate the entire data from the drive you can select it as target drive. Make sure that the target volume in the PD is empty. Alternately you can also select an external device attached to the server or choose a free volume in the network client which you activated just now. Click on FINISH button to start the recovery operation.
- Time consumption: – It may take several hours for the recovery software to complete its operation, especially when the volume of data is large and you have selected a network mapped drive for restoring the data. You need to wait till the process is complete. The system may display messages regarding inability to recover certain files, in case they are located in non-recoverable portions of the failed disk. You may be given options to retry, ignore or cancel. You may click the retry option couple of times. If the message still persists, click on ignore so that the system continues with other files.
Common Causes of disk failure
System failure is one of the most common causes for windows 2012 server disk crash. So you need to take preventive measures to avoid such situations. It can be done effectively by connecting your server system to UPS sources. It is important that you keep the server in a separate room with air conditioned environment. Avoid direct internet connection to the Primary Domain Controller if you have other options. Check the compatibility of server hardware with the HDD and make changes as required. It can help in avoiding any sort of incompatibility issues which may later lead to unexpected disk crashes. Always enable disk mirroring and automated data back up from the PDC to ensure dynamic switch over in case of emergency situations.